If you walk into any brick and motor casino, one of the most games you will find people playing are classic fruit machines popularly known as slots. The internet has made work easier for gamblers because using a smartphone, tablet or PC, slot machines can be played at the comfort of one’s home or office. Quite frankly, the online versions of slot machines are a great activity for people who love the indoors but do not mind the occasional thrill of waiting upon a bet. Compared to classic slots, online slots are more exciting because they have wild and scatter symbols plus an interactive gameplay of bonus rounds.
If you use Google to dig up knowledge on various subjects, you must have come across websites that promise to make you loads of money from their secret slot winning strategy. Did you go along with the advice given? The truth about slots is that they are based on pure luck which cannot be influenced. While slots are undefeatable in the long run, there are tips that can turn even an average gambler into a pro. Here is the step by step guide you can use to maximize your chances of winning at slots:
1. Know the ins and outs of slots machines
You have likely heard this before; find a game whose winning event is due. While some people will interpret this to mean that slot games are self-correcting, the truth is that mathematical probability is the greatest determinant for winning in slots. Ever spin that is made on a slot machine is independent of any other but they are collaborating to prove mathematical accuracy of the games. Assuming that a game pays out a win when 3 identical symbols appear on separate reels, for a game that has 3 reels, this would mean that players have a 1:1000 probability of winning. Does this mean that you have to make 1000 spin to land one that pays out? The truth is that the longer a slot has been played without a paying out, the more likely that a win is coming and it could be you spinning.
2. Understand that there is more to slots than just RTP percentage
Many people will consider the RTP of a slot game before making the decision to play that game. Well, it is an important factor but not the only one especially because the concept of volatility comes into play. In a game like we mentioned above where the probability of winning is 1:1000, the nature of play is highly volatile. If this is the only gain you are going to be anticipating the entire game, it might take you a minimum of 2 hours to get a win.
What if we had a game where there were smaller wins throughout the game? It will take you the same amount of time as above to win big but the smaller wins will keep you interested in the game and cause you to play longer. This increases your chances of winning.
3. You cannot tell a game’s payback percentage by looking
For slot machines with mechanical reels, the payback percentage is a factor of the number of symbols and various possible combination payoffs. If for instance, you aim at a certain result, you can obtain the odds of hitting it. Compare what you get to the amount expected as payback then add together the respective returns. Modern slots played over the internet have random number generators that come up with outcomes. Upon pressing the spin button, the reels spin and stop on a random number which is tied to certain reel combinations. If the game developers adjust the odds for certain symbols, it could be impossible for a player to calculate the payback percentage accurately. Whether you manage to self-calculate or rely on what has been given by the developers, a game with a higher payback is better than the opposite.
4. Apply slots generalities based on jackpot size to win
Did you know that a small jackpot is easier to win than a huge one? According to Michael Bluejay, a slots machine blogger, smaller jackpots in slots means better payback percentages. A small jackpot is easy to beat. On the contrary, play slots with large progressive jackpots for the fun, not for the money. The bigger the jackpot size, the lower the probability of hitting a win. This would mean spending more time on the slot not to mention the amount of money you need to have spent before hitting the jackpot. It is alright to try gaming luck on progressive jackpots but take care not to get used to it – they will kill your morale as well as bankroll pretty fast.
5. Apply slot generalities based on location
Many slot reviewers and analysts are of the opinion that the slot machines that are placed on the edges have higher payouts. This theory rides on the assumption that players start choosing slots from the outside and edges are a strategic place to have higher-paying games. Well, this might have worked in the past but not anymore. Actually, it depends on where you are because the slot machines in Las Vegas airport have a payback percentage of around 80%. If you love gambling and are stuck at the airport, you will just play, right?
6. Go for slot machines that have guaranteed payback percentages
While not all games post guaranteed RTP percentages, this is a common trend especially for games from Net Entertainment and a few other gaming providers. This, unfortunately, is the exception when it comes to land-based casinos. If you come across a slot machine which has the payback percentage advertised, take it. The minimum stake per spin is most likely to be a dollar or more but the outcome will make you glad that you did. Such machines have the return to player (RTP) percentage of above 97% so play on.
7.Ignore the slots club myths
If you are in a slots club or someone who is, you have probably heard the myth that your chances of winning are reduced if you have a slots club card in the machine when playing. Total lie! The role of the slots club card is to track the amount of action that originates from your account. This makes it easy to calculate rewards and rebates as a way to give players incentives at their level. Slots make money from casinos so it is standard business practice for a casino to want to see how much traffic is generated from them. Do not be fooled into thinking that the random number generation and RTP will be influenced by the absence or present of the slots club card. Slots writers who imply that playing with your card inserted is beneficial to your account are somehow right. These regular rebates mean that you lose less overall.
8. Play multiple games to get paid entertainment
In a casino setting, slots appear to be the easiest to tackle as far as winning is concerned. For some players, the visual appeal, captivating soundtracks, and thrill of reels spinning is simply addictive. Have you ever considered that playing slots is more expensive than playing any of the other games in a casino? Well, if you are an average player, you are likely to make 600 bets in an hour on slots, thanks to IoT in gambling. This translates to more money spent on slots if gaming was to continue throughout. Taking breaks in between slots betting is a good way to unwind, earn money from other games and spend less on slots.
Log in at Slots.lv for instance, and there is a huge range of games to pick from and play (over 400 to be precise). Here, as in very many other online casinos are a diverse selection of games designed to appeal to various personalities.
9. Enjoy better winning odds with video poker
If you are new to the gambling space, it might take you a long while before you can tell the difference between video poker and slots. In the real sense, there are huge differences between these two. Using the same probabilities you would apply when playing with a deck of cards; it is possible for players to effectively calculate the RTP percentage on a game of video poker. The average RTP is 93% for video poker games which gets better with enhanced skills and a better choice of games to up to 99%. If you are going to balance your time between video poker and slots, you will obviously have different fun levels with each. Addicted to the slots? It is perfectly fine because the wins you gain from video poker can fund the slots, keeping you playing longer.
10.Understand and stick to your goals
The most important goal for any casino player is to be entertained. Entertainment costs money and rarely do people pay for a movie expecting that they will win money that is enough to buy more movies – It should be the same with gambling. The most reasonable long term goal for those who play on slot machines is to receive entertainment that is equivalent to the amount of money they have paid in as stake. Any form of benefit that you will receive during play is just a bonus. Think of the free drinks you receive in a land-based casino or the loyalty points you earn on online casinos to be just that – free gifts courtesy of the casino for choosing to give them business.
Clearly, there is no secret formula on how to win at slots but everyone who plans to try should do it from an informed perspective. Enjoy the game and stay free of the addiction and winning will be the only event that turns your life around. So, how do you deliberately have fun at the slots? Since all casino games are programmed to the house’s advantage, none can have an RTP that is 100%. You, therefore, need luck to win at a slot game and that is why games with higher volatility are better.
Assuming that you opt to play a game that has low volatility, the results you will obtain over time will be as close as possible to the anticipated payout which is obviously less than 100%. In the high volatile game, on the other hand, the player still places bets and loses some but they stand a chance of reaping huge payouts because of the volatility being high. In simple terms, try playing slots with smaller but frequent bets; you tend to lose less money over time and when you hit the big win it is likely to repay all that you have lost. There it is: the secret to winning on slots is keeping track of the game’s volatility in line with the RTP. Some practical tricks below:-
- Stay away from bet types that decrease the RTP significantly – you might have noticed that many, actually the majority, will post a uniform RTP regardless of the bet size. For some online slots that have been adapted from land-based slots, there is a slight disadvantage when some bets are placed. If this is the case in the game you have chosen to play, always go for bets where this disadvantage does not apply. For instance, if a bet on 3 win lines costs 2 cents and a bet on a single win line costs 1 cent, it is clear that you save more if you bet on more win lines. In this case, it is always best to go for multiple win lines because of the disadvantage posed by betting on a single win line.
- Take advantage of the double up feature – this is a clever way to keep the volatility of a slot machine in check. Once the double up feature has been activated, the player stands a chance to win double the amount of money they have won in a game as the payout. Some games give you the opportunity to double up several times in a row and this is a chance to walking away richer than you were when starting the game. Actually, you will be twice as loaded than when you received the payout. Interestingly, this feature shoots the volatility of a game upwards. In the long haul, playing in such a slot game will offer you the opportunity to get less wins but of high value. For instance, imagine that you get your bet’s payout and walk away. You have probably been winning $1 for the last 40 wins – that is good. If you activated the double-up feature on your winnings and won $8 on 5 rounds, the outcome would still be the same as the first round but happening over fewer instances.
What about penny slots? This trick will work for these types of slot machines because they are designed to accept a 1 cent per pay line. The catch is that multiple lines have to be played in a single spin. Instead of counting from the perspective of how much you expect to win, how about you bet the amount of money you are willing to lose on around. The reality in most land-based casinos is however from what really happens. Instead of betting with actual money, credits apply. Sounds sneaky, right?
Well, there might be special regulations for using the double up feature on money won from bonus rounds so it is important to check the terms and conditions before starting.
- Play with few pay lines – this is another trick for increasing the volatility of a game. Are you aware that a game with 10 pay lines can be played using a single one? This has the effect of multiplying the volatility by 5 to 10 times. For instance, if you have $2 which you bet on a single pay line, the expected win will be much higher than if you distributed the money over 10 pay lines to bet as $0.20 on each line. The mote pay lines are on an active bet, the less the amount of money is to be received in the way of winnings. The only downside to this trick is that it will not apply to high roller players since the maximum amount that can be placed as a bet on a pay line is capped. Lucky you if you have discovered a casino where you can play the Cleopatra slot from IGT because these regulations do not apply.
The greatest strategy of playing the slots that every gambler should bear in mind is that addiction is the door that leads down the road of self-destruction. If you must make gambling at the slots a habit, make sure it is on your own terms. The analogy is pretty simple; you cannot become an alcoholic from taking a beer in the same way that you cannot become a gambling addict just because you have pulled the slots lever. Do you know when you are losing control on the slots? That should signal you to stop!